Market wrap: Stocks advance but close down for the week. Despite rising seven tenths of a percent on Friday, the VN-Index closed the week down 1.5% after climbing four of the previous five weeks. VHM (+3.3%) was the top contributor to the day’s gain as the Vingroup tickers reversed their recent slump, including VIC (+1.4%) and VRE (+1.5%). YEG (+6.9%) rose to its ceiling for a second day following a 61% plunge over the previous 13 sessions.
The VN-Index was little changed for most of the day on Thursday before falling sharply in the last hour of trading to close down 2.1% for a third straight day of losses. The Vingroup tickers accelerated their pullback this week as VHM (-4.3%) was the top contributor to the market’s loss today, followed by VIC (-2.7%) and VRE (-4.6%). Energy names fell hard, led by GAS (-3.1%), PLX (-3.6%), PVD (-7.0%) and PVS (-5.9%). Banks also joined the sell-off, including BID (-3.6%)
The VN-Index fell for a second day, closing down four tenths of a percent after being down as much as 1.4% in the morning session. Trading value on HOSE jumped to USD350mn. VIC (-0.7%) and its subsidiaries VHM (-1.9%) and VRE (-4.1%) were the top three contributors to the day’s loss. Power companies PPC (+6.8%), POW (+1.9%), NT2 (+3.3%) and REE (+1.8%) jumped after an 8.4% increase in retail electricity prices was implemented today ahead of schedule.
The VN-Index dropped half a percent on Tuesday amid strong trading value on HOSE of USD251mn. VCB (-1.2%) was the top contributor to the day’s loss and banks accounted for five of the top six laggards, including BID (-1.9%), VPB (-2.7%), CTG (-1.3%) and TCB (-1.1%)
Market wrap: Stocks resume rally, led by VIC. The VN-Index climbed for a fourth day in five on Monday, closing up eight tenths of a percent to reach a fresh five-month high. VIC (+2.2%) was the top contributor to the day’s gain, hitting a record high, while its subsidiaries, VHM (+1.1%) and VRE (+1.3%), also advanced. Most banks outperformed the overall market, led by VCB (+2.4%), CTG (+3.1%) and VPB (+3.2%).
Market wrap: Stocks decline but extend positive weekly trend. The VN-Index slid four tenths of a percent on Friday but jumped 1.8% this week for the market’s fourth week of gains in the last five. Trading value on HOSE rose to USD282mn. HPG (-6.7%) was the top contributor to the day’s loss, plunging in heavy trading after announcing 2019 guidance yesterday. VCB (-1.5%) and MSN (-2.4%) also weighed on the index.
The VN-Index rose for a third consecutive day on Thursday, adding three tenths of a percent. VCB (+2.8%) was the top contributor to the day’s gain, extending a 27% surge over the last three months. Other banks were mixed, with BID (+1.7%) advancing while TCB (-0.9%), VPB (-1.4%) and MBB (-0.4%) lagged.
The VN-Index added to yesterday’s sharp rally, closing up four tenths of a percent on Wednesday. VIC subsidiaries VHM (+1.8%) and VRE (+3.0%) were the top contributors to the day’s gain while VIC itself (-0.9%) led laggards. Banks continued to rally, led by VCB (+0.6%), which reached an 11-month high, CTG (+2.0%), VPB (+2.3%) and TCB (+1.3%).
The VN-Index surged on Tuesday by 1.7% to break above 1,000 for the first time since October 5. VCB (+3.5%) was the top contributor to the day’s big gain as other banks also outperformed, including BID (+5.5%), CTG (+4.7%), TCB (+1.9%) and MBB (+3.4%). FPT (+4.5%) hit a nine-month high. Last week, the company announced a new CEO. PPC (+6.9%) soared to an 11-year high ahead of an 8.4% increase in retail electricity prices starting April 1.
Market wrap: Stocks flat; NVL jumps. The VN-Index fell for a fourth day in five, but by less than a tenth of a percent. VHM (-1.6%) was the top contributor to the day’s small loss, followed by GAS (-0.8%) and BID (-1.0%). Gainers were led by NVL (+4.5%), VRE (+2.3%) and VNM (+0.4%).